Posted by Mister JTA on June 5th, 2007 | 5 comments
I’ve just realised that if I don’t get lots of sleep I actually become ill.
I’ve realised this because we went to London yesterday (note to self: apologise at this point for bad typing), and had a great time and went to bed at about 02-45.
The alarm went off at 05-30 and we were out of Owen’s flat by 05-40 and in search of an overland to get us onto nhte tube and thence to, er, Victoria to get the Oxford Tube (bby which they mean bus) bus back to Oxofrd.
I slept a bit on the bus, as well – I can, as various people have noticed, sleep anywhere; my two most random were, “on a coach, on the isla seat, bent over the armrest at the waist with my torso handing down and my head swinging into the floor when the bus accellerated” and “Sitting cross-legged on the grass in a field, tipped forwards onto my head” – but I don’t sleep very well in that situation.
I’ve pulled a fair few all-nighters in my time, for one reason or another, and on one horrible occasion I spent about forty-eight hours running on five hours sleep, which was very hard, but I’ve never done a full days work on three-and-a-bit hours sleep before.
Frankly, I’ve spent today getting paid to stay awake, so I’d just like to share with you my patent 4-AM special.
Normally it keeps me going like a dream, but not so much today, I think there is only so far the bounteous gift of God’s great coffeetreebush can take you, but what the hey.
You will need:
1) A big mug.
2) Some freeze-dried coffee.
3) About 40 pee in silver coins.
4) A Coffee Machine that gives out little plastic cups of coffee.
5) Some hot water.
6) A spoon.
1) Fill bottom of mug with freeze-dried coffee, at about 1 and a half the strength you’d normally use.
2) Put sufficient money into coffee machine to cover purchase
3) Order an “ExpressoChoc” with sugar. That is to say, get the machine to make you an expresso, with some hot chocolate in it.
4) Collect mug of ExpressoChoc. If money inserted into machine exceeded purchase, push retrive change button and retrive change. Otherwise, skip to 5.
5) Pour ExpressoChoc into mug of instant coffee grains.
6) Dispose of instant coffee cup.
7) Add hot water to mug of ExpressoChoc-with-strong-instant-coffee-in-it.
8) Stir freshly crafted beverage.
9) Drink 4AM Special, allowing to cool if necessary.
Those things normally fire me up so much I have trouble sitting especially still. Today… nothing. Except I occasionally feel a bit more tired. I’ve had about four so far. This is alwarminhg.
More allarming is the fact I feel drunk, when I’m not, and ill when I don’t think I am.
I’m having to put most of my energy into not falling flat onto the keyboard and waking up tomorrow, but I don’t think I can do it much longer, so I’ll shove off and go to bed once I get home, assuming I can wake up enough to get onto the bus, off the bus at the other end and then make it back to the houes.
Meanwhile, I thought I’d share the 4AM special recipie, just in case it will do anyione else any good. Wishi it still worked on ,me…